Data Recovery with Git
October 23rd, 2016
So I just did my first
data recovery with
Git really is an
amazing tool. It thinks of all the possible events that may happen,
including a glitch in its own process.
Why is there
data recovery? Because sometimes you may lose a commit.
Stuff happens! Remember. Nothing is perfect.
I had made a lot of changes. I was trying to ignore my nodemodules, and it
wasn’t going so smoothly with the
.gitignore file. I deleted the modules and
re-installed a couple of times to get the
.gitignore to \*_ignore
them\*. And somewhere down the line, I lost the precious work I had been
laboring over for the past couple of days. So what was I to do?
First I tried a couple of
git reverts. I only had a couple of commits to begin
with. The files were nowhere to be seen. The I tried to find a command that
would take me back to the original state of the repository when I
git init. I
didn’t come up with anything more than I already knew.
Then I came across GIT – MAINTENANCE and DATA RECOVERY. Don’t think that just because you may be fairly new to git (or even a seasoned pro), that stuff like this just doesn’t happen. It does. Computers crash and perhaps through no fault of your own. Git is not impervious to strange happenings either. That’s where DATA RECOVERY comes in.
The first thing to do is NOT TO PANIC.
The second thing to do is NOT TO ACT IMPULSIVELY. Think through all your options. Read the documentation you come up with very carefully. One wrong move could result in permanent loss of your data.
After much research and revisiting GIT – MAINTENANCE and DATA RECOVERY several times, I decided to give it a shot.
The first thing I had to do was to determine when was the last point in time that I had all the files I wanted to recover in my repository. I remembered that it was when I made my first commit. The following are the steps I took to find out which commit that was:
git log -g: purportedly this
commandlets you see the same information as with
git reflog, but it didn’t specify as clearly, at least to me, which of my commits was the initial one.
git reflog: also listed all my commits, but lets me know specifically which commit was my first commit indicated by (initial).
Git Book Documentationin GIT – MAINTENANCE and DATA RECOVERY, I created a new branch called recover-branch and added the commit hash at the end of the command like so:
git branch recover-branch
checked outto that branch:
git checkout recover-branch.
Low and behold, ALL my files were there! I double checked the
content of the files, and then checked its appearance/status in the browser and
the JS console. Everything looked as it should. All my data had been
crucialand would be
crucialfor you too. I made a copy of the repository’s recover-branch and dragged it to the desktop. This was a
recovered master branchfiles, and the last (and first) good commit. I wanted to make doubly sure that no matter what happened in my next commit, I had a backup of my work.
I did a
git statusto see if there was anything that I had to commit before switching back to master branch. There was, and so I committed everything with the commands
git add -A(adding everything at once to the staging area), and then
git commitfollowed by a
switched back to masterwith the command
git checkout master. Then I decided to merge the two branches so I could bring back all the recovered files into
recover-branch. Guess what? There were a lot of
conflicts. Files that had been deleted in commits in the master branch were of course still present in recover-branch. I aborted the merge with the command
git merge --abort. Then I went back to my recover-branch copy on my desktop and compared my data there with the data in master. I copied anything missing in master from recover-branch, and even went through all the code to make sure that it matched. When I was satisfied that the two folders contained the same files, I committed them and pushed them to origin master.
I went back into my
dataagain. There were still
a couple of files missing, and I went back into the
recover-branchcopy, retrieved them, and copied them into master. I pushed those subfolders and files to origin master. Then I was done.
I could have made life difficult for myself and gone a more complicated route to achieve the same result, but this was quicker and safer.