postgreSQL and the OSX Migration Assistant
April 30th, 2018
Last week I received a new
macbook pro laptop I had purchased. My old laptop had seen better days. I had lost functionality in my t key on my keyboard. My
external speakers were shot. And after I had already purchased and received the laptop, I found out that my
thunderbolt port was dying.
How did I find THAT piece of information out? I was trying to transfer my data from my old computer onto my new one with the
OSX Migration Assistant, and nothing happened.
I wanted to know if I had perhaps made a mistake, so I took both laptops to the Apple Store at Grand Central to get the migration done there.
A very nice Apple Genius representative set me up and started the data migration process using the
OSX Migration Assistant. It started alright, just as it had done at home, but then it suddenly stopped, as it had done at home. At first we continued with the process thinking that it was just a matter of data size. But after a while, we realized that no progress was being made. The Genius rep ran a diagnostic on my computer and didn’t find anything TOO terrible. My battery was running at 77%. It was at the consuming level, so not yet in the danger zone. But definitely close! He guessed that it had to have something to do with my
thunderbolt connection. He didn’t know if it was my port that was faulty, or the store’s. He recommended that I visit the
iStore, an approved Apple Premier Support Provider. They specialize in data recovery, among other things. He said that they would be able to run a much deeper diagnostic of my computer.
I went. I dropped off. I waited two days. I returned and picked up. Everything seemed just fine. The only difference was that suddenly a
new user had been created on my new laptop. It was called
postgreSQL. I didn’t think much of it, and used the same credentials I had when I installed
postgres on my old computer.
When I got home, I started working on a project which had worked well previously. However, now I was not able to update table records. I only could create a table, add a record to a table, and delete a record from a table. I could not edit a record.
This drove me crazy. Was it my code? Was it the fact that all my
postgres related directories were located in a separate
OSX user created from the
migration initiated by the
OSX Migration Assistant? Or was it something else?
I went back to the
iStore. I talked to them about the new
postgreSQL user account on my laptop. We looked into it together. I had
permissions issues on that account because it was separate, and also a standard account. If I wanted to give it
administrative privileges permanently, I would have to either
remove my current
administrative account permanently. THAT was NOT an option. Besides, my goal was to be
permanent owner of my
postgres install. That could only be implemented if I installed it via Homebrew on the
I don’t like deleting things as a rule, but this was a necessary evil I knew I could not avoid. Of course I created a backup on my
external hard drive.
The trip to the
iStore to check out the
postgres user account was earlier today. When I got home, I researched how to completely uninstall
postgres on my
administrator account, install it via
Homebrew, and subsequently get it running.
I uninstalled. I re-installed via Homebrew. I got it running AND my code working on the front AND backend.
I am now the proud OWNER of my
postgreSQL install. This is what appeared in the
command line after I installed
postgres with Homebrew on the
mariacam=# CREATE DATABASE paymore; CREATE DATABASE mariacam=# \c paymore You are now connected to database "paymore" as user "mariacam". paymore=# select * from shoes; paymore=# select * from shoes; paymore=# select * from shoes; paymore=# select * from shoes; paymore=# select * from shoes; paymore=# select * from shoes; paymore=# select * from shoes; paymore=# select * from shoes; paymore=# select * from shoes; paymore=# \dt+ List of relations Schema | Name | Type | Owner | Size | Description --------+-------+-------+----------+-------+------------- public | shoes | table | mariacam | 16 kB | (1 row) paymore=#
There were steps that I had to make before I got to this point, but
postgres now was installed directly into my administrator account. No question of ownership or permissions!
I came across several resources on the web that helped me get there. You can find them below: